What we do
Our Trust is the first children’s social care organisation in the country to be run independently from a local authority. It was set up to pioneer new, dynamic ways to provide outstanding care to children and families in Doncaster at times of need or crisis in their lives.
The Trust was established on 1 October 2014 following an agreement with the government and Doncaster Council. It is a company limited by guarantee which provides children’s social care on behalf of Doncaster Council.
We work closely with the council and our other local partners to provide these services:
referral and response
- combating child sexual exploitation
- safeguarding and standards unit
- children in care
- children’s homes
- fostering and adoption
- youth offending service
- intensive family support teams
- assessment and child protection services
We offer similar staff benefits to local authority employers, including membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme. For more information see Benefits of working for us.
What we aim to achieve
We were set up to drive improvement after the local authority’s children’s social services were found to be inadequate by Ofsted in 2012.
We have set ourselves the following targets to be recognised in future inspection judgements or peer review:
- ‘Requires improvement’ or better by April 2016
- ‘Good’ or better by October 2017
- To be ‘outstanding’ by October 2019.
For our vision, aims and key objectives please click here to visit our main website.
Our ground-breaking projects
We are trialling new ways of supporting families and children through a range of innovative projects. These have the potential to change children’s social care across the UK. They include:
- A £3m programme called Growing Futures, funded by the Department for Education, which aims to break the cycle of domestic violence by helping victims and their children recover together.
- ‘Pause’, a new approach to working with women who have experienced, or are at risk of, repeat removals of their children from their care.
- The Mockingbird fostering project which is improving outcomes for children through a ‘hub home’ of specially trained carers who support other foster families.
- A joint project with the police which has significantly reduced the number of children who go missing from care.
- Listening and responding to the views of children, young people and families - changes they have suggested are already underway.
- Investing in young people in care by: celebrating their successes, actively recruiting more foster carers and refurbishing our children’s homes.
- Working closely with partner agencies, including through a Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) to ensure an integrated response to child referrals.
Building our staff team
We are always looking for children’s social workers who are passionate about helping vulnerable children stay safe and achieve their full potential.
We also employ staff in business services including human resources, finance, commissioning, performance and business intelligence, legal, business support and communications.
If you are at the start of your career, or considering a future in children’s social care, please contact our recruitment team on 01302 736548 to find out about work placements and other opportunities.